Subforums:Frequently Asked Questions
The FAQ section of the site, which details common procedures on the forums and site rules. It also hosts several high-usage threads.
Herald: Septimus Heap — Contact Trope Talk
Here we discuss everything regarding tropes: are they good? bad? how to apply them? which are your favourite? and many more trope related discussions.
Herald: Septimus Heap — Contact Sandbox
For all your forum testing needs. Tech Wishlist & Bug Reports
Think the wiki or the forum could use some extra feature? Found a part of the site that's screwing up? Add your suggestions/requests/reports here.
Herald: VmKid — Contact Wiki Talk
Anything wiki related, including discussion about policies for examples, tropes, natter, etc..
Herald: Telcontar — Contact Translations
Join the multi-language TV Tropes project! The title is pretty self explanatory. Trope Repair Shop
This is where trope renames, merges and splits are proposed, discussed, voted on, and decided. Since it deals with topics regarding the wiki, it is more serious than the rest of the forum, and off-topic posting is highly discouraged.
Herald: Discar — Contact Image Pickin'
See a page without an image, or with an image that doesn't explain the trope very well? Go here to help choose a good picture.
Herald: Willbyr — Contact Projects: Long Term/Perpetual
A place for perpetual cleanup projects like natter or Complete Monster where you are supposed to bring the items in question to the topic.
Herald: Nocturna — Contact Projects: Short Term
A place to start cleanup projects in general.
Herald: Nocturna — Contact Content Violation Discussions
In this forum, as explained in The Content Policy and the 5P Circuit, the 5P discuss whether to cut certain pages for falling afoul of our new content policy. Of course, other people are allowed to voice their opinions and provide evidence for and against works on the chopping block.
Herald: Arha — Contact Yack Fest
This subforum is for random conversation and general discussion, because every forum needs one of those. Threads tend to go off-topic very frequently, and it is also the most "community-oriented" subforum, perfect for newbies.
Herald: Parable — Contact Forum Games
Run-of-the-mill forum games... with a troperiffic twist.
Herald: Classifiedzerogoki — Contact Wild Mass Guessing
Want to share your zany Epileptic Trees? That's what the WMG tab on your favorite work's TV Tropes page is there for, but you may also want to see whether other tropers agree with your theory. It Just Awes Me!
A place for gushing, added after much demand.
Herald: Earl of Sandvich — Contact Live Bloginations
Document your experience as you watch/play/read a new series! This board has been archived, but has been succeeded by a new section of the site, Live Blogginations. Troper Covens
Get-togethers, collaborative writings, and other arcane majicks being brewed up to amuse and amaze an unsuspecting world. Old Folks' Home
The old farts sitting around on the porch talking while the kids play tag and chase the dog and have squirt gun fights in the yard. If the kids want to come over and join the conversation, the adults won't chase them away, but they are expected to be calm and behave.
Herald: Ori Doodle — Contact
Zone: Forum RPGRole Playing
This is where you go for ongoing play-by-post games with your fellow tropers!
Herald: daltar — Contact Role Playing Signups
If you wanna start a new roleplay, go here to get people to sign up. Role Playing Discussion
This is for OOC chat about the roleplays.
The place for Serious Business. Discussions here cover several topics, unlike the rest of the forum, and (as its name suggests) all posts in this section must be related to the conversation at hand.
Herald: Best Of — Contact Writer's Block
Where writers join and chat. You'll find tips, suggestions and feedback for your own writings.
Herald: chihuahua0 — Contact World Building
Feeling Creative? Anime & Manga
Herald: Gilphon — Contact Comics
Here. Fan Fiction
Herald: Japanese Teeth — Contact Film
Herald: Quag15 — Contact Tabletop Games
Herald: ryzvonusef — Contact Live-Action TV
Herald: TParadox — Contact Live Performance
Herald: JHM — Contact New Media
Here. Video Games
Herald: Komodin — Contact Visual Arts/Graphics
Here. Visual Novels
Herald: Arha — Contact Web Comics
Herald: Totemic Hero — Contact Western Animation
Herald: Explosivo25 — Contact
General Behaviour: The forum is generally easygoing. The tropers posting there are usually polite and friendly, and they probably won't give you any trouble. Conversations on any subforums other than "On-Topic Conversations", "Image Pickin' " and "Trope Repair Shop" tend to switch topics both quickly and frequently, so it's a good idea to read at least the last page of any thread to know what's going on right now. This is not /b/, so please refrain from making offensive, badly spelled and completely random posts. There is no hierarchy in the forum, no postcount nor join date, and everybody owes everybody the same amount of respect. A short list of rules may be found here. No Not Safe for Work links are allowed on the threads. This includes sites that have NSFW content and/or ads. There are moderators, who want nothing more than to have nothing to do except chat like everybody else. However, they can and will delete or edit offensive or insulting posts, lock threads that have turned ugly, issue warnings and for unacceptable behavior. and they can forum-ban for repeated or excessive unpleasantness. They're listed on the Know the Staff page, and you can PM any of them with requests for intervention if you feel it's necessary. At the top of each post is a yellow triangle icon, This is the Holler button; it sends a post to a mods-only thread. Use it to report posts that break the rules; to ask for a crowner to be hooked or unhooked, or for a thread to be locked; or to ask for a mod to take a look at something in the forums on an official basis. Since all of the mods can see a post in the Hollers thread, the response will generally be faster than PM'ing a particular mod and hoping that they're online.
Tropes which apply to this forum:
- Broken Base: Trope Repair Shop is where tropers get together and argue about what trope pages are "supposed to be". They rarely have unanimous consensus.
- Fun with Acronyms: Several were made in a discussion about TABLE pages, all relating to the kitchen in some way. The longest was Joining Acronymic Leagues Alters People's Entire Notions Of Sense.
- G.I.F.T.: Shows up occasionally. We don't like it and we don't want it here. Indulging in it is a really good way to get banned.
- G.I.R.L.: There are overwhelming amounts of male members with female avatars. This is inverted frequently as well, with plenty of females sporting male avatars.
- Hidden Depths: At first the characters may seem like shallow archetypes, but the characterization they receive is amazingly human.
- Ninja Editors: The forum tends to move fast. It is not uncommon for threads to gain two or three posts in less than a minute.
- Online Personas: Most of em.
- Sock Puppet: While (hopefully) not many members from the forums do this, we still have very strict rules about this sort of thing. Just to be safe.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Taken to the extreme, after all, we're literally combining the addictiveness of Tv Tropes with that of forums, what else did you expect?
- Universal-Adaptor Cast: There sure are a lot of troper AUs. Case in point, Haven Quest, Who are you people? What is this? and Everbody Goes To School Together At Troperville High are three that have gotten so gloriously out of hand as to get their own pages.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Not helped by the G.I.R.L. (and reverse-GIRL) avatars, and the fact that gender doesn't come up much.