Administrivia: How Crowners Work
So you have been participating in a thread in Trope Repair Shop or Image Pickin’ , there has been some discussion about what to do to fix a page, and you want to move on to the next step and that much closer to actually fixing the page. In most cases, this means making a crowner.
What are crowners anyway?Crowners are a tool for measuring consensus for a decision on the wiki. The name is an Artifact Title from when they were used to determine a Crowning Moment of Awesome. Interested tropers can choose to vote in them by clicking on the up or down arrows next to each option. You may vote for multiple options and revert your vote if you change your mind, but you obviously can only select up or down for each choice.
When should you make a crowner?Generally, it is a good idea to wait until there has been a decent amount of discussion (and a Wick Check if appropriate) about the issue with the trope(s) before making a crowner. If you aren’t sure whether it is time for a crowner, posting in the thread to ask is normally a good idea.
The Different Types of Crowners
Single PropositionA Single Proposition crowner is for situations when there is only one clear question that can be answered with a Yes (Up)/No (Down) vote such as “Rename This Trope?” “Split This Trope?” “Cut This Trope?” or “Merge This Trope and That Trope?”
- To make a Single Proposition crowner, simply type the following address into your URL window: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/crowner.php/SingleProposition/[Insert Title Here], replacing [Insert Title Here] with the name of the trope in question.
- For example, a Single Proposition crowner for this page would look like this:
Alternative TitlesAlternative Titles crowners are used to select a new name for a trope that is being renamed or for picking a name for a new trope that is being split off. Since these come after an initial rename decision (usually decided by a Single Proposition crowner), “Keep the old name” or any variant is not to be put on an Alternative Titles crowner. These crowners are for listing and voting on possible new names, not for arguing for the old one.
- To make an Alternative Titles crowner, type the following address into your URL window: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/crowner.php/AlternativeTitles/[Insert Trope Name Being Replaced Here].
- For example, an Alternative Titles crowner for this page would look like this:
- Enter each proposed new trope name (separately) into the crowner's "Add New" box.
Page ActionPage Action crowners are for when there is more than one option being considered for fixing a trope. For example, some tropers may advocate for cutting a trope altogether while others may say that splitting it or renaming it would be a better solution. In such cases, each of those options should be on a Page Action crowner. Page Action crowners can sometimes make things pretty complicated, so make sure that there clearly are multiple suggestions for what to do with a trope before making one.
- To make a Page Action crowner, type the following address into your URL window: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/crowner.php/PageAction/[Insert Title Here], replacing [Insert Title Here] with the name of the trope in question.
- For example, a Page Action crowner for this page would look like this:
Image PickinImage Pickin crowners are used to choose a new image for a wiki page. When making these types of crowners, link to each image that has been proposed with a source or brief description; do not put the image itself in the crowner.
- To make an Image Pickin type in the following URL http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/crowner.php/ImagePickin/[Insert Title Here], replacing [Insert Title Here] with the name of the trope in question.
- For example, an Image Pickin crowner for this page would look like this: