- Ignore articles at the beginnings of titles. That is, the words "a", "an", and "the". They're incredibly common and removing them doesn't usually change the meaning of the trope, so it's better just to pretend they're not there at all. For example, The Magic Goes Away should be alphabetized under M; A God Am I goes under G.
Do this even for foreign-language articles. The vast majority of all tropes and articles with foreign-language titles are in either Japanese, French or Spanish. Japanese doesn't have any articles, so mostly this just means ignoring "le", "la", "les", and "l'" at the beginning of articles with French titles, or "el", "la", "los", and "las" at the beginning of articles with Spanish titles. For example, La Résistance goes under R.
Be careful, especially with "a", that it's being used as an article in the trope name. For example, A-Team Firing is about The A-Team, not just about "a team", so it should be alphabetized under A.
Note that the below rule on short entries before longer ones still applies if the sole difference between them is a beginning article otherwise ignored. Hence, Pyrates goes before The Pyrates.
- Ignore spaces and punctuation. There are different English-language standards about what to do with spaces; this is the one that best corresponds with the way the TV Tropes internal database works.
- Shorter entries alphabetize before longer entries containing them. Big Bad comes before Big Bad Ensemble.
- Treat special characters as though they were the corresponding ordinary character(s). Mostly this is so accented and non-accented versions of the same name get alphabetized in the same way. For example, Ĉon Flux should be alphabetized as though it were spelled "Aeon Flux".
- Alphabetize by custom titling rather than the database name of the trope. For example, 100% Completion should come before Alpha Bitch, since numbers are alphabetized before letters.
For that matter, note that titles starting with numbers are alphabetized digit by digit, not by their value. For example 2001: A Space Odyssey goes before 300 (because 2 goes before 3).
Administrivia / How to Alphabetize Things
All works pages and most indexes are supposed to contain lists of tropes in alphabetical order. Standards for alphabetizing may vary; to make things easier to find, we want to keep ours consistent, so please use the rules below even if you're used to alphabetizing things differently somewhere else.