- Accidental Innuendo: Gebar's dub name sounds exactly like "Gay Bar".
- Jerkass Woobie: Gebar.
- Retroactive Recognition: Gebar, under all that heavy prosthetic, is Baku Hatakeyama, best known as Daita Ōiwa/Kirenger in Himitsu Sentai Goranger.
- The Scrappy: Johnny
- Snark Bait: Johnny's I don't care!
- Special Effects Failure:
- The ape masks that have hardly moving lips. Like Ultraman Leo that aired the same year, it was ruined with this trope. The apes are also universally shown either with shoes on or from the legs up to avoid having to design ape feet.
- The Human Popsicle at the beginning is obviously a paper mache dummy with some Christmas "frost spray" sprayed all over it.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Pepe. It doesn't help that he/she is referred to as BOTH a boy and a girl.
YMMV / Time of the Apes