- Harsher in Hindsight: This movie was released in 2014. Two years later the story of a 17 year old girl from New Zealand (known as "Poison Ivy") who bullied weak men into degrading themselves online before encouraging them to kill themselves became known. Something very similar happens in this movie.
- I Am Not Shazam: People have assumed that the protagonist is called Kanako. This is wrong, his name is Akikazu, Kanako is the name of his daughter (she plays an important role but is not the protagonist).
- Moral Event Horizon: While Akikazu was not exactly an angel before, he definitely crosses it after he completely willingly rapes Detective Aikawa's wife, although we can safely assume that she did not really have a much better life with her super-evil and highly sociopathic husband before this.
- Kanako crossed the line even before the movie started, such as corrupting a relatively decent teenager to his lowest point, to running a sex-ring involving young girls, all for the sake of sadism and her belief that the strong must dominate the weak. And that's just the icing on the cake.
- Nightmare Fuel: The world that this film shows is so ugly and frightening and the people in it are so evil that the film as a whole turns into this after the truth about Kanako is revealed (especially what we learn about the prostitution ring and the child molesters).
- Writer-Induced Fanon: Although there's no confirmation from the film, most people believe that in the hotel room it's Matsunaga who kills the narrator from behind with a knife, hints being that he teamed up with Kanako and is still brainwashed when we last see him.
YMMV / The World of Kanako