- Harsher in Hindsight:
- The third act falls under this, because the crowd has went on to ostracize Bart of any love (and the major saying that he was going to be left to die) over one prank, with only Homer and Marge being supportive. Come "The Boys of Bummer", and the crowd reaction turns Up to Eleven over Bart dropping the ball and losing the game. Suddenly, the Asshole Victim applies more to the Townspeople instead of Bart in comparison.
- On the 2017 earthquake that affected Mexico and the rescue efforts in its aftermath, one of the most alluring stories was that of a little girl (Frida Sofia) that was trapped and kept contact through her cell phone, with prayer vigils and other similar reactions. Then it was discovered the little girl did not exist, and had been made up by the TV station that started the story for the sake of ratings. It enraged everybody.
- Memetic Mutation: Turns out that on Mexico this episode is pretty well-known, being called "the 'Timmy O'Toole' episode" over there. It became pretty significant for a while in the aftermath of the 2017 earthquake, with the episode airing after the "Frida Sofia" hoax was discovered.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The music that plays during Bart's attempt to scale down the well is clearly meant to be "Axel F".
- We're Still Relevant, Dammit!: The episode was clearly inspired by the media circus that surrounded toddler Jessica McClure when she was trapped in a well (though the episode itself is mostly a parody of Ace in the Hole).
YMMV / The Simpsons S3 E13 "Radio Bart"