- Alternate Character Interpretation: In the original legends, Paul Bunyan indiscriminately chopped down every tree that crossed his field of vision. Here, he's presented as being more noble, only "borrowing" from the land what is needed.
- Unlike the other two, Paul comes off more as the man behind the legend than the mythic figure. Otherwise he'd be a giant.
- Ham and Cheese: Calamity Jane (Catherine O'Hara)
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The fact that Stephen Lang is trying to keep a mining company out of a pristine valley is funny when you remember that he eventually joined the opposing side in a very similar conflict.
- One-Scene Wonder: Catherine O'Hara as Calamity Jane.
- Retroactive Recognition: Jonas Hackett is played by Stephen Lang, lka Col. Miles Quaritch.
YMMV / Tall Tale