- Crazy Awesome: Raven is a harpoon throwing, kayak surfing, nuke carrying biker. As Hiro thinks to himself: "He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken." (referencing Raven as the BMFW)
- Creepy Awesome: Raven has POOR IMPULSE CONTROL tattooed on his forehead, what else do you need to know?
- Foe Yay: Raven and Y.T.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment:
- The restrictions on using hyperinflated dollars as toiler paper became more of a prediction due to the occurrence in Zimbabwe during its hyperinflation. By extension, Venezuela' economic crisis in The New '10s had caused such imaginations due to accompanying hyperinflation.
- Hiro goes on a vehicular rampage to ensure that he doesn't violate his company's 30 Minutes, or It's Free! policy. These types of policies were phased out shortly after the book was published for the very reason that pizza deliverers were driving recklessly to meet their deadlines and causing accidents.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: "Hiro turns his attention to Earth. The level of detail is fantastic. The resolution, the clarity, just the look of it, tells Hiro, or anyone else who knows computers, that this piece of software is some heavy shit. It's not just continents and oceans. It looks exactly like the earth would look from a point in geosynchronous orbit directly above L.A.. complete with weather systems — vast spinning galaxies of clouds, hovering just above the surface of the globe, casting gray shadows on the oceans — and polar ice caps, fading and fragmenting into the sea. Half of the globe is illuminated by sunlight, and half is dark. The terminator — the line between night and day — has just swept across L.A. and is now creeping across the Pacific, off to the west." Did someone read this and get the idea for Google Earth?
- According to REAMDE, yes.
- Memetic Badass: Hiro.
- Memetic Mutation: A lot of the lines from this book are well-known in hacker culture.
- Squick: The 15 year old Y.T. and 30+ year old Raven have sex. Granted, it only lasts about three seconds before Raven gets knocked out by Y.T.'s dentata, but still. Oh, and it's not her first time. And she knows perfectly well that many people see such behavior as squicky; the only reason she doesn't try to have sex with Hiro right after she first meets him is she realizes that he would probably see it as wrong.
- Too Cool to Live: 'Fisheye', Vic and Fido.
- Values Resonance: The book's satire of anarcho-capitalism portrays a country in which governmental authority has been almost completely taken over by private enterprises. This is a topic of growing controversy in the United States, as federal and local governments have increasingly relied on for-profit companies to run prisons, serve on battlefields, educate children, and perform other tasks normally reserved for the government.
YMMV / Snow Crash