- Accidental Aesop: Sleep deprivation makes you a silly pony. ...But seriously: don't overwork yourself. Listen to your body and take a break when needed.
- Accidental Innuendo: "Are you saying my mouth is making promises my legs can't keep?"
- Fridge Logic: Applejack totally wore herself out harvesting what turned out to be only half of all the apples. Yet, it's implied that she could have handled it normally if she had been helped by just one pony (Big Mac). While two ponies might be more than just twice as effective as one, it's still odd that two of them could have handled twice the load that was way too much for one.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Ashleigh Ball would learn this exact same lesson again in Dinotrux, where it was taught by Andrew Francis, ie. Twilight's brother.
- Jerkass Woobie: Applejack's stubbornness and arrogance lead her to work herself into a disoriented wreck, causing a lot of collateral damage in the process. By the end of the episode, her strain and symptoms become unsettlingly realistic (if still humorous) and you end up feeling for her when she reaches the point where she doesn't just cave in to Twilight's offer but outright begs for it.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Never Live It Down: Big Macintosh is often drawn in fanart with a straw in his mouth, despite never doing it after this episode. It probably helps that he's unusually chatty here.
- Squick: Spike finds the "baked bads" delicious. He even picks them from the trash.
- What an Idiot!:
- Pinkie Pie should have known better than to cook the "baked bads" using the wrong ingredients (especially earthworms instead of wheat germ) considering she is a professional baker. She's also looking at Applejack frequently enough you'd think she'd have caught a weird ingredient, or Applejack going outside to get the worms.
- Applejack really should have rested if she wanted to succeed in her work, which she learns the hard way, doubling as an Accidental Aesop.
- The Woobie: Subtle and (most probably) unintentional, but right at the end of the episode Applejack says to the other main cast: "But the real award is having you five as my friends." Right at that moment Spike walks into the frame, and you would expect Applejack to acknowledge him too... but she says nothing.
YMMV / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S1 E4 "Applebuck Season"