The TV Show
- Audience-Alienating Premise: A sketch 'comedy' with very little in the way of actual comedy, trippy, unsettling sounds and visuals, and Nightmare Fuel aplenty is likely to cause this reaction.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: Jam has no likable characters to offer. All of them being morally bankrupt jerk-asses, depraved perverts and mentally deranged people with no redeeming qualities, and each sketch deals with them doing something strange or morally reprehensible.
- Fetish Retardant - The eccentric doctor and his phone sex line.My cock's just gone off like a spunky firework.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs? - It's batshit and insane in every way possible.
- The sketch where a semi-naked man and a woman run through a forest around police officers singing "Mah Na Mah Na", while a dead body is found. They then proceed to sit on the body to squeeze out a noise into a bass clarinet in time with the music. Yeah...
- Not only is the source material, editing, soundtrack and general ambience extremely tripped out and unsettling, there's also the video remix version "Jaaaam" which is the same footage, but with each scene put through various visual filters - pixelation, solarisation, all sorts. It's extremely hard to watch in a darkened room and still feel sober.
The unrelated novel:
- Fridge Logic: The reveal that Angela's camera ran out of power after day one doesn't quite add up. Travis saw her reviewing footage well after that, and she used the night vision to navigate in the dark a few times.
- Tear Jerker: The pointless death of Angela right in front of Travis.Travis: ...I couldn't find a stick...
- The Woobie: Travis. He has a naturally submissive personality, and Tim and Don both abuse him for it. And everybody around him keeps either dying or trying to murder him.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: X and Y. They didn't mean to cause the jampocalypse after all.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Don counts as this. Yes, the man can be described as 'rude at best', but he's lost his job, all his friends are dead, he has to hang out with a group of utter idiots and the only other survivor of the event leaves him. Can you blame him for being an utter twat?
- X can count as well. The revelation that she worked for a benign organization that was ultimately trying to help humanity, not destroy it means that her extreme measures of trying to keep her cover which included both withholding information on the jam and directly trying to murder Travis were only selfish attempts to save her own skin, not any actual organizational secrecy.