- Game-Breaker: Due to the constant patches and many new heroes being added, occasionally a hero will be ludicrously overpowered for a patch period. An extreme case was Gemini, who had a Game-Breaking Bug upon release which gave him infinite stats, meaning he was quite literally unkillable and could one-shot every enemy hero and building. This was fixed a few hours later but still.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: HoN has a much larger player base in Southeast Asia than anywhere else, in which it is usually considered a 'dead game' when compared to Dota 2. SE Asia still considered Dota 2 a possibly greater game, but they still have fond memories with HoN before Dota 2 took prominence.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks!: Inverted; the second Valve started handing out beta invites like candy? People started praising Heroes of Newerth.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "TOO BAD ITS ME BLACKSMITH", "It's party time!", "3 seconds", "WHOOP!" "I pull them fukers in"
- Older Than They Think:
- HoN isn't the first game to feature the Newerth verse. Beforehand, S2 also made games that took place in Newerth, starring Jeraziah.
- Too many, or too few, depending on who you ask. Just because a game had the green 'Noobs Only' icon next to its name does not mean you won't get called a noob/idiot/feeder and possibly booted the instant you do anything wrong. This might be why the colored noob/normal/pro markers have been removed in favor of a min/max allowed rating setting when creating a public game.
- The many "noobs only, 1650+ PSR only" games are especially ironic because actual noobs have a personal rating around 1300 and even 1500 seems like a distant dream until you get a whole lot better at the game.
- The Scrappy: Scout, kill stealer extraordinaire, runner of fights. Oh boy, Scout has a pretty lengthy history of being the game's Scrappy. Scout was one of the oldest heroes in the game, but he's been constantly derided due to his explicable tendency to attract noobs/trolls/tryhards. Heck, try finding a spotlight video where a Scout doesn't die. Scout has also not been picked in competitive games despite receiving mostly buffs. Around version 3.2, pros eventually realized how powerful Scout is, especially in a metagame where running a stealth hero in the suicide lane was popular. Unfortunately, this caused Scout to become a Tier-Induced Scrappy instead. Poor Scout can never catch a break.
- "Stop Having Fun" Guys: Unless playing with friends, it's almost impossible to not pick up a Scrub who will complain about this even on noob/practice games. The more extensive the stat-tracking, the higher the elitism. HoN's stat tracking is pretty extensive so... yeah.
YMMV / Heroes of Newerth