- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- Itachi. As opposed as being seen as a tragic hero who was forced to descend to evil, the ten-year old Itachi is pointed to have worrying psychopathic tendencies. Itachi has an utter Lack of Empathy, being unable to relate to anyone that's not his immediate family and tends to see his family and civilians as things to protect rather than people. He has poor social skills to the point of being completely misreading people's intentions and social cues. All of these put together make Itachi a huge Creepy Child, which he hides under the veneer of stoicism and competence.
- Crack Pairing: The fic's main pairing is Kurama/Kakashi. In canon, Kurama is a giant demon sealed inside Naruto and Kakashi was Naruto's sensei and they never met in canon. But drama is to be had to the way they have indirectly had effects on each other's lives.
- Kurama/Zabuza, even more so.
- Cry for the Devil
- Ensemble Dark Horse: The readers fell in love with Zabuza's teasing yet bloodthirsty nature.
- Shisui is very funny Ditzy Genius who brings much needed levity to the Freak Squad in his ditziness and his back and forth with Tenzo.
- Genma is a witty guy that instantly figures out whats going on and flat out asks Kurama what he's doing instead of being one of Kurama's many pursuers.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Kurama/Zabuza was essentially intended to be a one-night stand for the both of them in order to give Kurama a crash course in human sexuality and a frame of reference for understanding human sexual and romantic relationships. But the readers ended up falling in love with their dynamic with some futility asking the author to make Kurama/Zabuza the main pairing.
- Iron Woobie: Kurama has gone through hell: he regained his freedom and life at the expense of his Only Friend's life. He has been homeless and hunted down like a dog for following his beliefs that the jinchuuriki shouldn't be abused because of what they're forced to jail. But despite all of trauma he faced, he still tries to be a kind person in Naruto's memory in spite of his gruff personality. Kurama becomes a mother figure to the younger jinchuuriki and inspiration to his fellow shinobi.
- Jerkass Woobie: Kakashi is a neglectful, emotionally distant man who refuses to take any sort of responsibility for Naruto while at same time wanting to force Naruto to remain in Konoha despite how miserable it would make him. But Kakashi is emotionally burnt out from suffering the losses of his father, Obito, Rin, Minato and Kushina and can't bring himself to become close to others. Kakashi is extremely aware of his flaws and thinks himself as a monster. Kakashi is horrified with himself it's revealed that Kurama, the Nine-Tailed Fox, who ruined his life and almost destroyed Konoha has demonstrated more love and compassion than Kakashi ever had.
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped:
- When rising against oppressors, the oppressed are stronger together than alone.
- There are good and bad ways of coping with loss.
- While Turn the Other Cheek is all well and good, teaching someone that they don't have a right to be angry about being mistreated is child abuse and stupid to boot.
- Take That!: In response to repeated complaints about slash within a slash story Blackkat decided to make everything even more gay from chapter 68 onwards by making undefined relationships and crushes into actual slash pairings.
- While not outright stated the fact that the ship tease between Mei and Roshi was left unanswered could have easily been another form of Take That! to the complaints.
YMMV / Blackkat's Reverse