Spike the bulldog, tries to get his son, Tyke, down for a nap. Unfortunately, while chasing Jerry, Tom inadvertently wakes Tyke up, resulting in the little pup getting a bad case of hiccups. Under threat of bodily harm from Spike if he wakes Tyke again, Tom does his best not to disturbing the sleeping pup while he continues his pursuit of Jerry...which is complicated as the mouse does his best to ensure Tyke's hiccups continue.
- Don't Wake the Sleeper: Spike warns Tom not to wake up Tyke, or he'll give him a beating. Jerry, of course, makes sure Tom makes lots of noise.
- Got Me Doing It: Said by Spike after he gets the hiccups as well.
- Hand Gagging: After inadvertently waking Tyke up for the last time, he tries to muffle Tyke so Spike doesn't hear him hiccuping. Unfortunately, Tyke's hiccups end up traveling through Tom's arm and come out of his mouth.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Every time Tyke is woken up he gets the hiccups. Spike tries to cure him by scaring him and giving him water, but then he gets the hiccups as well. They only get cured when Tom causes a drainpipe he climbed up to fall, the loud noise of the crash scaring the hiccups out of them.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: After Tom unwittingly cures Spike and Tyke's hiccups, he tells him "anything you want to do is okay with me!" Jerry hears this and, realizing he can no longer count on Spike to stop Tom, packs his things and runs off into the horizon.