A Tale of Two Toads is a 1989 Spin-Off of The Wind in the Willows. Produced by Cosgrove Hall Films for The Cannon Group, it was first released in cinemas on the 29th of December 1989, around the same time that The BFG was released in cinemas. The success of this film resulted in a further Spin-Off with Mr. Toad as the main character, Oh, Mr. Toad.
This movie provides examples of:
- Animated Musical: There are two songs in this film. They are called "The Song of Mr. Toad" and "We'll Go Boating".
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The Chief Weasel forms this with Isambard Toad.
- Chandelier Swing: Toad and Isambard do this during the chase around Toad Hall.
- Chase Scene: This film has one at the end, around Toad Hall.
- Criminal Doppelgänger: Isambard Beerbohm Toad, the secondary antagonist of the film. He is Mr. Toad's double: an actor, impersonator and con artist.
- Evil Counterpart: Isambard is one to Toad.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Isambard's deep voice - when he is not impersonating the other characters - is the only thing that sets him apart from Mr. Toad.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: Or three details-
- First is when Isambard visits Mole's home and doesn't know where the teapot is kept, even though Toad does, when Mole asks him to get it.
- Second is when he tells Mole that spongecake is his favorite, only for Mole to tell him to stop joking around since everyone knows creamcake is Toad's favorite.
- Third is when Badger, Rat and Mole confront Isambard (while impersonating Toad) Badger states that the Magistrate with have something to say about Toad's behaviour in which Isambard retorts "It's none of HIS business." even though Toad knows the Magistrate's a lady. This confirms to the three that they are dealing with an imposter.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Isambard Beerbohm Toad is named after two famous 19th-century Englishmen, the engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the actor Herbert Beerbohm Tree.
- Spot the Imposter: Takes place at the climax with Toad and Isambard after the weasel's plan is foiled.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Every single Riverbanker falls for Isambard's charade, except for Badger.