The Ward is a thriller webcomic by Park. Through a simple art style, it tells the story of a disease that turns people into mindless killers. The main character, Mark Evans, discovers a shocking conspiracy while trying to find out the cause of the disease.
The comic updated once a week until August 21, 2017, when Park announced that The Ward was officially dead, with a disclaimer that the comic would officially return the next year. The last page was uploaded October 6, 2017, with Park noting that it did not mean that the hiatus was over.
Provides Examples Of:
- Captain Obvious: On his first trip to the hospital, Evans finds the corpses of Alfred and his niece Ava. On his second trip to the hospital, Evans finds a body on a puddle of blood. The hospital worker, Sarah, tells him that Alfred killed that person. Then an "infectant" rams the door.Evans: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!!!!
Sarah: They didn't stay dead
Evans: I think I got that.
- Gory Discretion Shot: In this page, a stream of blood is shown seeping through the front doors of a hospital. Also, this page.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: The comic's plot revolves around zombies that kill people more often than they infect them. However, the word 'zombie' is never used.
- Plague Zombie: An unknown disease changes humans into so called 'infectants'.
- Plot Twist: Although not featured yet in the comic, the comic author has repeatedly said that future plot twists are set to happen.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The "infectants" are drawn with red beady eyes with a heavy outline.
- Throw the Book at Them: Evans fends off an "infectant" with a pamphlet. But it did have very sharp corners.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The plot slowly builds up to the point of an apocalypse being a likely possibility.