The show takes the form of vlogs from several different characters, following the plot of the play with a modern twist.
Twelfth Grade (Or Whatever) contains examples of:
- Adaptational Sexuality: Basically none of the characters are straight. Viola, Oren, and Liv are all bisexual.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Liv does not reciprocate Oren's feelings for her.
- Either/Or Title: As a reference to the original play, with (Or Whatever)
- Everyone Is Bi: All 3 of the main characters are bisexual, Oren even points this out.
- Gender Bender: Viola is disguised as a boy for the majority of the show.
- Love Confession: Seen at the end between Liv and Viola.
- Race Lift: Several of the characters are played by actors of color.
- Setting Update: The show is set in modern day America, as opposed to Shakespearean Italy.
- Vlog Series: It is one.