Subway Surfers: The Animated Series is an official web-cartoon based off of the mobile game Subway Surfers. It began in June 2018 and consists of several shorts. It can be found here and here. Subway Surfers: The Animated Series is scripted by Brent Friedman and Francesca Marie Smith. It's produced by Sander Schwartz.
The show follows four teenage best friends who explore their city on skateboards. They discover a mystery involving new technology that will change their live forever.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The source game has no plot and simply consists of outrunning police. The show deviates from this by including a Slice of Life plot mixed in with a plot about technology.
- Animated Adaptation: The series is an animated adaptation of Subway Surfers.
- Asian and Nerdy: Yutani is a Japanese-American who's knowledgeable about science and obsessed with aliens.
- Disappeared Dad: Jake's mother is explicitly a single mother.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: The main gang consists of two girls and two boys: Jake, Fresh, Tricky, and Yutani.
- Insistent Terminology: Tricky's mom insists that her necklace is a heirloom, not a necklace.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: In the Halloween Special Character Dossier.
- Straight to the Pointe: Implied: when Tricky accidentally wears her sneakers, several of her ballet moves fail because she isnt wearing pointe shoes.
- Teen Genius: Yutani's character dossier notes her intelligence.
- Teens Are Short: All the teens are short for their age. Jake seems between 13 and 14 but he's not even up to his mother's shoulders.
- Vague Age: Yutani looks pre-adolescent but all of the characters are described as teens in promotional material.