Toad Strikes Back is a highly successful fangame made by Thunder Dragon.
Several hundred years have passed since the legendary Super Mario defeated the evil King Koopa. Since then, the stories of his adventures have long since faded into legend. However, when Kamek, the descendant of the original, and the Koopa Clan attempt to resurrect King Koopa using the Mushroom Kingdom's 7 Starspheres, one ordinary Toad decides to rise up against Kamek and embark on an adventure to get them back in order to prevent the resurrection from coming to pass.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Toad, who is the player character of the game.
- A Winner Is You: Beating the True Final Boss, King Koopa, nets you an extra message.. and nothing else.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: At the end of World 5, a Hammer Bro arrives and twirls his hammer, ready to fight, until a Bullet Bill comes out of nowhere and knocks him away, being the real Mook that is being empowered for the boss battle.
- Big Bad: Kamek Koopa, the Identical Grandson of the original Kamek, steals the 7 Starspheres in an attempt to resurrect the long-dead King Koopa.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Kamek twice refers to the concept of worlds and bosses.
- Final Boss: Kamek himself, who empowers himself through his own magic to take on Toad.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Toad goes from being just an ordinary citizen to a hero on the same level as Super Mario.
- Greater-Scope Villain: King Koopa himself, as the game takes place long after his death. His army, led by Big Bad Kamek, aim to resurrect him.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: Several NPCs will tell you button functions and such.
- King Mook: Borrowing from Yoshi's Island, every boss is a mook empowered by Kamek.
- Super Empowering: Every boss at the end of each world is a random mook empowered by Kamek's magic. Kamek does this to himself at the end of the final world to serve as the final boss.
- True Final Boss: The resurrected King Koopa himself, who can be fought after collecting every single Mushroom Coin in World 7.
- You Can't Thwart Stage One: Even after being Kamek and getting back the 7 Starspheres, King Koopa is still resurrected to become the True Final Boss.