Sega Golden Gun is a 2010 arcade light gun game by...well, Sega.
The story revolves around two college students on a trip to China when the city they're in is suddenly attacked by mystical creatures such as dragons, clay soldiers, and lion statues for example. While trying to run from the chaos, a security guard hands the two the titular golden guns to defend themselves with. Thus the two take it upon themselves to get to the source of the creatures and try to stop them.
The theme of the game follows pretty much the Three Kingdoms Shu, Wei, Wu (aka Romance of the Three Kingdoms). Why would Sega make such an odd premise for a light gun game? Well cause the China division of Sega were pretty much the one to develop it, so there ya go. Essentially, it's just House of the Dead but with Chinese mythology (helped along by the fact the engine used in the game was also used in House of the Dead 4). Though one main difference is that you can occasionally run into a shopkeeper who will sell powerups and life with your score, without affecting your final result.
Here's a playthrough.
Sega Golden Gun has the following tropes:
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Well if the name wasn't a giveaway, the main weapon is a golden gun.
- Bond One-Liner:
Female student: Zhang Jiao's black art was nothing more than I've heard.
- After defeating Zhang Jiao at Baijiafang:
Male student: In my opinion, he should join the Chinese football team.
- After defeating Gao Qiu at Jiuquyuan:
Female student: You talk too much!
Male student: Dangerous beauty...
- After defeating Da Ji at Shilitan:
Female student: Hey, you deserved it!
- Dem Bones: Skeletons are a recurring enemy in several stages.
- The Four Gods: Pretty much make up the four bosses in the game. You fight a turtle, a tiger (sort of, it's more a cat girl), and a dragon. You don't really fight a phoenix but it does end up reviving the final boss.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Ancient Chinese zombies in Manchurian robes!
- Secret Test of Character: Throughout the first three stages, you keep running into a cloaked figure who wishes to test if your worthy of the guns. Turns out he's on your side and wants to see if you can take down the final boss. And it is also revealed in the ending that his name is Sun Wukong, the Monkey King.