TO EAT THE FRUITS
JUMP BOUND AROUND
WITH YOUR BIG BELLY OUT
The player controls a tanuki named Ponpoko, who goes around single-screen levels collecting fruits, climbing ladders, avoiding enemies, and jumping over spikes and gaps in the platforms.
Not to be confused with Pom Poko.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Chest Monster: "?" pots release either bonus points or snakes.
- Edible Collectible: The object of each level is to eat the eight "fruits" (which may be vegetables or mushrooms).
- Endless Game: The game only has 20 "patterns," and the 20th one just repeats after you beat it.
- Every 10,000 Points: The player gains an extra life at 30,000 points, though (as usual) difficulty switches can change this behavior.
- Falling Damage: Even falling one level is fatal, which makes it necessary to use the ladders.
- Jump Physics: Not particularly generous by modern standards, though both a high jump and a low jump are available.
- Selective Gravity: All the enemies move from left to right and back with no regard for gravity.
- Shave And A Haircut: This is used as the Game Over jingle.
- Spikes of Doom: They may only be pins, but they're still pointy and deadly.