Diggles, or Wiggles in the original German ("Гномы" ("Gnomes") in Russian translation), is a sidescroll strategy game that was released by Innonics in 2001. It never became very popular outside of Germany and even there it wasn't particulary notable for its success. You manage a clan of Diggles, to look for and capture Odin's pet dog Fenris. On your journey down into the Earth you are joined by a fairy and meet other clans who compete in the race to capture Fenris. Because after all, everyone wants to be the Chosen One, right? Right?
This game has no relationship with the diggles of Dungeons Of Dredmor.
This game provides examples of:
- 2½D: The game employs a 3D-engine, but you can only move and build in two. The third is probably to look fancy, 2D tiles would have worked just as fine. The only advantage is the ability to play cutscenes with the same engine. The disadvantage was fairly high system requirements for its time.
- Dug Too Deep: The depths of Earth promise treasure and adventure. Adventure as in 'flesh-eating nasty things'.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Justified. Diggles like to drink, have sex, make gadgets and dig too deep.
- Our Elves Are Better: Although the elf is actually a fairy (a case of Artistic License Mythology), she's the perfect elf. Annoying, arrogant and useless.
- Randomly Generated Levels: An odd case. The map of a black area is generated only when you order to dig through it. Thus restoring a saved game and digging through the same area again may have drastically different results.
- Suicide Mission: A god tasks you to find his dog. His flaming, three-headed dog.
- Technology Levels: You start with sticks and stones and end up with a pseudo-nuclear reactor.
- Tech Tree: It even comes with the task and skill of 'Inventing'.