The gameplay is a simulation. Hector has to earn money to buy furniture, which contains the evidence and keep his stats (Health, Mood, Respect and Work Ethic) high, which reforms him. Then, he'll get the code that will allow him to escape.
This game provides the following tropes:
- A Winner Is You: The ending is just one screen of text with a picture of Hector outside.
- Death Row: Well, yeah.
- Driven to Suicide: If Hector's mood gets too low, he hangs himself.
- High-Voltage Death: Hector is about to die from an electric chair.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Hector may be a dick at first, but if you work with him, he turns nicer.
- Mistaken for Terrorist: Hector himself, thanks to his criminal record.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Hector Van Daemon. Though he isn't that bad.
- Timed Mission: The game has a time limit: 14 days.
- Unwinnable by Design: If Hector tries to hack the pentagon, the computer gets confiscated and getting the code becomes impossible.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: If you input the governor's code, the game's ending isn't shown, at least not on Kongregate. Instead, it tells you to play at Fizzy.com.