- Acclaimed Flop: The film, ultimately a passion project, had a limited theatrical run for a few weeks before it debuted on Netflix, and only made about $3.9 million against a $15 million budget. It's also gotten glowing reviews and universal acclaim since its release, and scored numerous critical awards. However, due to the attention the film received on the streaming service, the film was ultimately profitable for Netflix.
- Actor-Shared Background: Like Cleo, Yalitza Aparicio comes from a Mixtec background, was experienced with the life of a maid due to her mother's employment, is used to working with children, and had a fear of water.
- Amateur Cast: Apart from Marina de Tavira (Sofia), the film employs a largely amateur cast, including the film's own protagonist, Yalitza Aparicio.
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition: The first Netflix movie to receive one from The Criterion Collection.
- Write What You Know: Cuarón set the film in Colonia Roma, the neighborhood he grew up in, with Paco the most closely related to his own childhood self. The director also had a maid in the family who was exceptionally close to the children, as well as an adulterous, absent father.
Trivia / Roma