- Casting Gag: In the Latin American Spanish dub, it's not the first time Bodi's voice actor (Manuel Lopez) voiced a dog.
- Defictionalization: Bodi's Cool Hat was given away as a promotional item.
- Dueling Movies: In an All-CGI Cartoon from 2016, set in a World of Funny Animals, a musically talented young animal is trying to follow his dreams. Are we talking about Bodi, or one of the several contestants from Sing? In the end, this trope was averted due to the movies' releases being set too far apart.
- Old Shame: The movie is nowhere to be mentioned on the website of Reel FX Creative Studios, the studio who animated the film.
- Screwed by the Network:
- Huayi Brothers, the producers of this film as well as a theatre chain owner in China, had trouble distributing the film in their own country because of Wanda Cinema Line, a rival movie studio that also owns the most theatres in China. H. Brothers had poached Wanda executive Jerry Le a few months before Rock Dog came out, so the lack of distribution is generally seen as a retaliatory move that has cost this film a good chunk of box office returns in China.
- In the United States, the film received very little promotion, except for film posters inside of actual cinemas and some commercials. Ditto in Mexico, not to mention the fact the movie was dubbed in Chile and not in Mexico prevented a massive promotion of the film.
- Write What You Know: Zheng Jun, author of the graphic novel on which this film is just barely based, is a rock star in China, so the subject was obviously familiar to him.
Trivia / Rock Dog