- Actor-Shared Background: Douglas Hunsiker being a family man who goes Papa Wolf to protect his kids from Ceasar alludes to David Hewlett who plays him being a family man in real life, albeit much nicer then Hunsiker, as he has a son whom he adores - to the point where he merrily Twitters about his latest antics at least once a day.
- California Doubling: Inverted — New Zealand for San Francisco.
- The Cast Showoff: John Lithgow really does tickle those ivories.
- Deleted Scene: A scene shows Koba getting used to firearms. Had this been in the film, it would provide Foreshadowing.
- Fake American:
- Mid-Development Genre Shift: The most ironic part is that the first script wasn't even written as part of the Planet of the Apes franchise but was based on reports of real people raising chimps as pets (or babies) and then getting mauled in their homes when they become teenagers. The first incarnation of what would become Caesar was evil and talked only in sign language; its genre was probably closer to a sci-fi horror than the drama/adventure movie it ended being.
- Viral Marketing: Simian Flu, an in-universe website to promote the sequel.
- What Could Have Been:
- Tobey Maguire was originally intended for the lead human role, but when it fell through, they settled for James Franco instead. It's not the first time Harry Osborn has been second best to Peter Parker.
- They also had earlier drafts with a sympathetic vet character (named Stewart, after the unlucky female astronaut in the first film) working at the lab who becomes involved with Will, but this was later replaced by the zoo vet character. Before the character of Charles, there was a draft with the lead humans being a geneticist and his wife with the disease.
- The scene were the helicopter was pushed off the bridge was originally pushed by Caesar instead of Koba. This was changed because it would make Caesar more of a jerk.
- Will died in the first cut of the film, but test audiences didn't like it. Though he died between films anyway.
Trivia / Rise of the Planet of the Apes