Spoilers Off applies to all Tear Jerker pages, so all spoilers are unmarked. You Have Been Warned!
For a generally upbeat series, there are a lot of sad moments in Ranger's Apprentice.
- The Royal Ranger book begins with a time skip in which a lot of things have changed. Starting with Alyss being dead.
- "He wasn't much of a brother, either. But he was the only one I had."
- Crossing over with Nightmare Fuel, we watch Will go from The Pollyanna to a Blank Slate in Book 3, due to the warmweed-and before that, he's treated as below human by the Skandians. Thankfully Cassandra is able to get him out, but still, it's heartbreaking to watch.
- Shukin's Heroic Sacrifice in Book 10-he was established as a Nice Guy and Reasonable Authority Figure, and many fans looked forward to seeing him interact with Halt, as well as enjoying his interactions with Horace. Sadly, it was not to be. What's worse is that he knew it wouldn't stop Arisaka altogether, and that he would die just slowing him down-but he volunteers to do it, because he knows it needs to be done.
- And made even sadder, in a way, when we discover his gift to Horace later on.
- Halt discovering and openly weeping over Pritchard's corpse in "Tournament at Gorlan", especially given how stoic and unemoting the man is througout the rest of the series.