Galactic Date 57,891. A stray shot from the Furan Capital Ship Through The Eternal Darkness sends a laboratory module containing an unfinished bioterror weapon careening into space.
2017 AD. The laboratory module collides with Earth, releasing its contents. Billions die as nearly 10% of all life on Earth mutates into monsters.
2019 AD. An Asteroid strikes the Earth, releasing the Hunter Killer race upon an already devastated planet.
2024 AD. Humanity stands on the brink of either victory or defeat. With the aid of the greater Galaxy, humanity has begun to push back in earnest. However, Humanity remains fractured, divided into various factions and countries of varying sizes. The United Nations is the predominant alliance, backed by the might of the Intrepid, and acting as humanities representative.
What was once Mount Everest is now known as Point Zero, through which humanity connects to the wider galaxy, and the centre point of all human civilization: both good and bad. It is here that a 16 year old girl, fresh from the refugee camps, arrives by Mag-Lev....
A Geek's Guide: DeathWorld Earth contains examples of:
- After the End: Twice over in quick succession, both the results of ancient bio-weapons from alien races.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: All Infections have a "Template", with many of them being that of animals of some kind. Hybrid being particularly rare, and extremely powerful.
- Astronomical Exchange Rate: Credits are worth around 10,000* US Dollars. A single Galactic Credit is worth 50 Credits.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The player character Gwen. When applying for Verdict she was given the position as commander due to her ability to exceed expectations in her interview.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Magic is the result of human beliefs, hopes and fears. Convince enough people of something, and it'll come into existence in some shape or form. Which has sadly resulted in a massive increase of monsters as a result of the world's current status.
- The Corruption: The Furan Bio-Terror Weapon, aka the Infection, which has both granted people superpowers, and slowly transforms them into monsters.
- An Entrepreneur Is You: The game has a system for the buying and selling of stocks, as well as running a business. The latter system has gone unused, but is featured heavily in its predecessor, A Geeks Guide: Eastern Rhapsody.
- Fantastic Fighting Style: As a result of the change in human abilities thanks to the Infection and new technology, various new Martial Arts have come into existence, often based on pre-existing ones. Only three are named, however: Furieux Pilier(Savate), Yureru Ki(Judo) and the Death Dance(original).
- Global Currency: The Credit, which while not supplanting individual currencies, is essentially the currency of the Earth as a whole, and is used by large businesses and governments due to its high value. The "Galactic Standard Credit" is similar, only applying to the entire Galaxy, and being considerably more valuable, and less used, as a result.
- Global Currency Exception: Naturally, Credits are essentially useless outside of Earth, let alone the individual countries currencies.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: Gods were born from human belief. Which ended up killing them when the massive loss in population resulted in their followers dying, and the following backlash against religion.
- Humans Are Warriors: Despite the wider Galaxy offering to eliminate the Hunter Killers, humanity refused, wishing to do so themselves. This earned them the respect of the Intrepid.
- Insignificant Little Blue Planet: As far as galactic civilization is concerned, Earth is the equivalent of tiny island nation inhabited by primitives. The only thing that makes it in any way significant is that it got hit by two disasters caused by ancient wars.
- Kill Sat: The UN's Trump Card: Orbital-Cyro Bombardment.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: The Bio-Terror Weapon, aka the Infection, turned 10% of the global population into monsters, and gave the rest superpowers... at the cost of them turning into monsters under certain, common circumstances.
- No Conservation of Energy: Perpetual Energy is exceedingly common amongst the Galaxy, and is rapidly becoming more common on Earth.
- Power Degeneration: Overusing ones Infection abilities results in their Infection Rate going up, granting more power at the cost that once they reach 50%, they lose control and become a Bioweapon.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The Intrepid, who have a highly martial culture and are very proud of it, despite being a Class 3 species. Humanity has been showing development into this, much to the Intrepids approval.
- Technology Levels: The Kardasche Scale for fun and profit is one of the in-universe scales used to measure technology, at least amongst humans. The Intrepid, humanities benefactor, are one of the 16 Class 3 races.
- We Will Spend Credits in the Future: As described above, both Earth and the Galaxy use credits.