Draal gives Jim a totem to help lessen his anxiety about Claire; Jim's resulting overconfidence leads to a realisation.
Tropes for this episode include:
- Affectionate Nickname: Strickler is the only one who calls Jim "Young Atlas". Bular uses this to his advantage when Jim under the Grit-Shaka's influence seeks him in the sewers.
- Ancient Artifact: The Grit-Shaka is a magical Gumm-Gumm totem that can make the wearer fearless.
- Black Comedy Burst: When Toby tells Aargh and Blinky about the Grit-Shaka, they at first assume that Draal killed Jim in a sparring accident.
- Fearless Fool: With the Grit-Shaka, Jim becomes completely devoid of all fear. In casual situations, he makes a complete ass of himself at school without fear of embarrassment or punishment. In life-threatening situations, he ignores Rule #1 and nearly gets himself killed by Bular when he goes out to challenge him.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: When Bular smashes the Grit-Shaka, Jim doesn't remember what he did all day. This also means he doesn't remember how he ended up in the sewer with a gleeful Bular.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Blinky, Aargh and Toby when Jim decides to go find Bular.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Jim was on a Suicide Mission to kill Bular. While he was nimbler and more skilled, he was also willing to fight. Bular removing and destroying the amulet reverts Jim back to his survival instincts, and allows him to escape.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Draal tries to help Jim with his girl trouble by giving him the amulet. This backfires splendidly as the Grit-Shaka has an unpredictable effect on humans.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Jim when Bular removes the Grit-Shaka and has no idea where he is.
- Also Jim when Bular calls him "Young Atlas".
- Strickler when he finds that Bular outed him to Jim as a changeling, under Gunmar's orders.
- Something Only They Would Say: Bular calling Jim "Young Atlas" is how he figures out that Strickler is working with Bular and the Gumm-Gumms. Bular reveals he said this on purpose to test Strickler's loyalty.
- Totally Radical: "Crispy".
- Wham Episode: The bridge is complete, so all they need is the amulet. Jim finds out that his history teacher is a changeling, and Strickler finds his loyalty tested.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Jim has to explain human courtships (including kissing) to Draal. Draal finds Jim's description repulsive.
- Xanatos Gambit: Bular revealing the "Young Atlas" nickname to Jim. If Jim hadn't escaped, Bular would have the amulet and Strickler's possible Morality Pet eliminated. But since Jim did, Strickler now has to prove that he's loyal to the Gumm-Gumms.