Homer becomes obsessed with a Mapple MyPad he won in a silent auction at school, but when he breaks it, he loses all hope — then finds it again when he discovers that his backyard tree has spelled out the word "HOPE" in sap.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- Artistic License Biology: Flushie is apparently an alligator, but he has interlocking teeth like a crocodile.
- Bait-and-Switch: There's a scene where it seems that Homer is playing a game at his MyPad and driving at the same time but then it's revealed he's actually playing a game that simulates distracted driving.
- Brick Joke: During Kent Brockman's investigation, we see where Lenny ended up after his conversation with Moe and Homer got dropped.
- Hypocritical Humor: Homer says that books are for cavemen, yet he acts like a caveman when seeing fire.
- Palette Swap: Flushie resembles a brownish-green Captain Jack.
- Real Dreams Are Weirder: Homer is batting in the World Series against Steroid Santa Claus, and all the announcers are food. And then it gets weird...
- Sewer Gator: Flushie.
- Something Completely Different: A short at the end of the episode featuring a Continuity Nod of in-universe Simpsons' products.