Solace is the fourth episode of The Last Ship's second season.
Nathan James is heading south to Florida to drop off samples of the cure at a lab, where Dr. Scott's mentor is based, in the hopes that the doctors and scientists there will be able to find a way to make production more efficient. Chandler orders a detour into the middle of the Atlantic when evidence arises that USNS Solace, one of the US Navy's hospital ships, may have been sent out loaded with lab equipment in the hopes that it could rendezvous with Nathan James in the event that the destroyer succeeded in her mission.
Chandler leads a boarding party (with new additions Wolf Taylor and Ravit Bivas) to examine the seemingly abandoned Solace, only to discover a new faction aiming to become the dominant power in the new world order.
This episode provides examples of:
- Artistic License Military: Wolf is referred to as a Senior Chief. Such a rank doesn't exist in the Royal Australian Navy. He'd be a Warrant Officer if he was supposed to be senior to a Chief Petty Officer.
- As You Know: Danny rattles off a list of fact about USNS Solace to Miller for the benefit of the TV audience.
- Badass Israeli: Bivas, who can take on much larger opponents without breaking a sweat.
- Badass Nickname: It appears as if Wolf really is named "Wolf". Miller takes to calling him "Wolfman" to his delight.
- Boom, Headshot!: Bivas delivers three in a row while disguised as a doctor.
- Death Glare: Bivas shoots a couple at Burke whenever he attempts to flirt.
- One-Man Army: Wolf mows through a team of Immunes with his bare hands, rescuing Miller in the process.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Wolf and Bivas, to Burke's relief.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Bivas is a fraction of Wolf's size but can punch hard enough to knock him back.
- Stiff Upper Lip: In a flashback at the beginning of the episode, we see the last member of the Achilles crew (save for the Ramseys) die abruptly while controlling the ship. Despite bleeding out of his eyes and coughing up blood, he maintains a steady course up until the bitter end. From the position of his crewmates, we can tell the same presumably happened to every other member of the crew.Helmsman: I can't see, sir! Sir? Sir?!
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Wolf was dubbed as such by his own mother.