Halt & Catch Fire
Written by Eric Charmelo & Nicole Snyder.
Directed by John Showalter.
Air Date: February 10, 2015.
Sam and Dean hunt a ghost killing a group of college students through electronic devices.
For this episode: 4 humans and 1 ghost.
For the series so far = At least 1110 angels, 1086 humans (of which 9 were witches), 178 demons, 62 vampires, 50 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Brand X: Since you can't really have Siri being hacked by a ghost to kill someone, the first victim uses the app Trini.
- Computer = Monitor: When Andrew has his last target cornered, menacingly appearing on electronic screens, Dean starts smashing cell phones and monitors with a crowbar to stop him. It makes more sense with the cell phones than the computers.
- Electromagnetic Ghosts: More literal than most see below.
- Ghostly Goals: Andrew Silver is engaged in vengeance against the college Greeks who hit him through careless distracted driving and didn't call for help.
- Haunted Technology: Andrew's spirit became anchored to Wi-Fi signals after he died on electrical lines connected to transmission towers, bound by his wife's picture of them on her computer. This allows him to bypass conventional wards against ghosts such as salt barriers and more difficult to dispatch with earthly remains past the entire internet. He initially used this position to reconnect with his wife online before becoming obsessed with vengeance and hijacking Wi-Fi connected technology to kill his murderers.
- Sam and Dean introduce themselves as Agents Cobain and Grohl, both members of Nirvana.
- To croissookies.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Ultimately Andrew needs to be talked into passing on by his wife over FaceTime.