Next: Supernatural S 10 E 13 Halt And Catch Fire
About a Boy
Written by Adam Glass.
Directed by Serge Ladouceur.
Air Date: February 3, 2015.
In Pendleton, Oregon a man disappears outside of a bar he'd just gotten thrown out of, a disappearance with earmarks of witchcraft. The witch who took the man also takes Dean and a woman named Tina, de-aging all three of them back to adolescence. For Dean this has the unexpected upside of erasing the Mark of Cain.
For this episode: 3 humans, one of which was a witch.
For the series so far = At least 1110 angels, 1082 humans (of which 9 were witches), 178 demons, 62 vampires, 49 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Adaptational Villainy: Hansel from Hansel and Gretel turns out not to be a victim who rescued his sister but an accomplice who willingly ate her heart.
- Anal Probing: A wino who witnessed the first disappearance is hung up on the idea that it was an alien abduction, and launches into a graphic story about the same thing happening to him before Sam and Dean manage to escape.
- Brick Joke: As a kid, Dean is horrified that he enjoyed a Taylor Swift song. At the end of the episode, when Dean is back to normal, a Taylor Swift song is playing... and Dean is still enjoying it.
- Casting Gag: Lesley Nicole, Mrs. Patmore from Downton Abbey, is a different kind of cook here.
- Children Are Innocent: And delicious.
- Face on a Milk Carton: Why the witch is now abducting adults after deaging them.
- Fattening the Victim: The witch feeds the deaged adults dry cake in an attempt to fatten them up.
- Fountain of Youth: Katja the witch turns adults into children so she can eat them. She can't just trap children anymore because parents are no longer accustomed to high rates of infant mortality.
- HeelFace Mole: Hansel claims to hate the witch and offers to help the Winchesters destroy her. This is a ruse.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Both Katja and Hansel are child eaters.
- Murder by Cremation: Dean shoves the witch into the stove.
- One Degree of Separation: As it turns out, Katja was sent to America by the Grand Coven of Witches in order to deal with Rowena.
- Tastes Like Chicken: After getting captured by the witch, Dean tries to buy time for Sam to escape by asking if people taste like chicken.Dean: So, uh, is it worth it? I mean, word on the street is people kind of taste like chicken.
Katjia: A bit. European children are more, uh, free range, gamier. Americans, though — ooh they are heaven. (Laughs) Fattier. The meat, so finely marbles, its almost buttery. I just cant get enough.
Dean: Mmm. Awesome.
Katjia: No! I am in awe. This is my first visit to your country. And I have to say God Bless the USA.