After a disastrous first contact, Archer and four others are captured by a slimy intruder.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Aliens Speaking English: The Kreetassans learn English much faster than Hoshi learns their language.
- "Ass" in Ambassador: Good lord, the Kreetassans.
- Ensign Obvious: When the Kreetassans angrily storm back to the airlock:Hoshi: I think they want to leave.
T'Pol: That much is obvious.
- First Contact Faux Pas: Guess bringing the Kreetassans to the mess hall wasn't such a good idea...
- Force-Field Door: Malcolm is its inventor.
- Gratuitous Latin: "Vox Sola" means "one voice" in Latin.
- Heroic BSoD: Archer goes into a brief funk over the sour First Contact with the Kreetassans. A game of water polo brings him out of it.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: With Archer and Trip captured by the creature, T'Pol and Hoshi figuring out how to communicate with it, Phlox studying a sample of it, and Malcolm working on his forcefields, Travis is the only officer manning The Bridge. Guess they really don't have any backup crew, do they?
- Stuff Blowing Up: Travis talks Malcolm into watching The Wages of Fear at movie night by promising lots of explosions.note
- Synchronization: Whenever the creature feels pain, so does everyone it captured.
- Your Normal Is Our Taboo: Turns out that eating in public is a big no-no for the Kreetassans.Kreetassan: It is like mating. It is very offensive to us.
Travis: We were just eating. How do you eat?
Kreetassan: We eat the same way, but not in the presence of others.