The Pee-Wee Pals program means that each fourth grader in Miss Grotke's class must spend the recess as caretaker for a kindergartener from Mrs. Klemperer's class... with an offer of a trip to Gonzoworld.
- Booby Trap: TJ tries to teach his ward, Spencer, about booby-trapped drinking fountains by luring Randall to one. Unfortunately, after Randall gets sprayed, Spencer thinks it's a good idea to spray a nearby fifth grader, who angrily joins Swinger Girl and one of King Bob's guards in chasing TJ and Spencer.
- Fan of Underdog: Hector begins to look up to Gus in this episode, giving him the In-Series Nickname "Safety Man" upon hearing from the Digger boys that Gus is the one who alerts them of electric cables before allowing them to dig.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: By the end of the episode, Mrs. Klemperer is clearly reading a raunchy romance novel.Miss Grotke: Should we call them in now?
Mrs. Klemperer: No, no, just a few more minutes...
Miss Grotke: Oh, does the book indicate we should let them play together longer?
Mrs. Klemperer: No. The book indicates that Lieutenant Chapeau is about to take Guinevere into his well-muscled arms and—
Miss Grotke: Gert!
Mrs. Klemperer: All right, all right. (puts down the book)
- Nature Is Not Nice: Spinelli certainly thinks so.Spinelli: (to Cindy) If you're gonna go gaga over weeds, the world's gonna eat ya alive!
Spinelli: Yeah, yuck! Ya gotta get tough!
- Paper-Thin Disguise: After giving his Nice Hat to Spencer, TJ is still caught by the kids whom he and Spencer accidentally angered. He somehow thought that no one would recognize him without his hat.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Lampshaded in this exchange:Gretchen: Repeat after me: The rain...
Emma: The rain...
Gretchen: ...in Spain...
Emma: ...in Spain...
Gretchen: ...falls mainly in the moist temperate zones southwest of the Pyrenees Mountains.
Emma: (beat) Blooby-blooby-bloo-bloo-bloop.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Mrs. Klemperer might as well be a non-war example.Mrs. Klemperer: (looking at the fourth graders in their desks) They all just sit there... quietly... it's... beautiful!
- Shout-Out: Gretchen and Emma's "rain in Spain" conversation is based on "The Rain in Spain" from My Fair Lady.
- Slippery Skid: Happens to King Bob and his carriers after Spencer spills a can full of marbles. Needless to say, King Bob is furious!Spencer: (pointing to King Bob) Man in crown go "BOOM"!
- Smart People Play Chess: Eventually, Gretchen bonds with Emma over chess.
- That Cloud Looks Like...: Mikey and his kindergarten charge, Zed, eventually bond by looking at the clouds together.