Principal Peter Prickly's brother and rival, Paul Prickly, has challenged him to a kickball duel between the respective teams of Third Street and 98th Street Elementary Schools.
- Compensating for Something: Paul mentions that his flagpole is bigger than Peter's. Indeed, when Peter sees Paul's 50-foot-tall flagpole, he complains to himself that it's "unseemly".
- Doppelgänger: All the students in 98th Street School are very similar to those in Third Street School.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The aforementioned Compensating for Something flagpole.
- Hypocritical Humor: Mikey when Mickey catches the kickball:Mikey: Hey! No fair! That kid's really big!
- Jerkass / Big Brother Bully: Paul Prickly
- Manchild: As if Peter Prickly wasn't childish enough, his big brother Paul is equally immature. TJ lampshades it nicely.TJ: Pff, adults...
- Palette Swap: The Recess Gang's 98th Street doubles are different from them as follows:
- Rigalli has blond hair and a beret in contrast to Spinelli's black hair and ski cap.
- Vance is blond and Caucasian, instead of African-American like Vince.
- Greta Grobler is Ambiguously Brown, while Gretchen is definitely Caucasian.
- Rus Rimple is African-American as opposed to Gus' Caucasian looks.
- Mickey looks Chinese, while Mikey is clearly blond.
- And CJ Rotweiler is a girl with curly red hair, instead of a boy with light brown hair like TJ.
- Rule 63: Averted for the most part, but played straight with TJ and the Diggers; their 98th Street counterparts are all girls.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Paul Prickly likes to think he is better than his brother in every way!
- Spit Take: Spinelli's reaction to seeing Rigalli.