Reed, ever-curious, sends a probe into the newly-discovered Negative Zone. Unfortunately, the energy from the probe makes the Four begin to shrink. At first, this is more amusing or inconvenient than anything else, but as it continues, the team faces the very real possibility of shrinking out of existence. Can even the help of a friend save them?
This episode contains examples of the following trope a:
- Always Wanted to Say That: Hank. See Expecting Someone Taller. Lampshaded by Ben.Ben: You've been waiting your whole life to say that, haven't you?
- Brick Joke: Reed's "shrinking contest" with Hank. At the end of the episode, he comments, "And Hank? I totally won our bet."
- The Cameo: the team receives help from a friend of Reed's: Hank Pym aka Ant-Man.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Reed mentions "Pym particles" soon after he wakes up. Later the man himself turns up.
- Could Say It, But...: Reed, after he gets a bit too excited about the accidental "breakthrough".Susan: What? Tell me you're not involved in a shrinking contest with some other scientist.Reed: All right. (cheerfully) But I think I'm gonna win.
- Cuteness Proximity: Susan's potential wrath is completely defused by a dog Johnny is taking care of.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Hank says this to the Four.
- Freak Out!: Poor HERBIE has one, thinking the Four are first rats, then mice.
- Missed Her By That Much: When Reed realizes that Alicia is in the house, he tries to get her attention. Alicia even thinks she hears his voice for a moment, but she walks out.
- Precious Puppies: Or one.
- Say My Name: Susan, twice, when Johnny's startled scream wakes her up.Susan (gasps): Johnny! (Tumbles out of bed and notices she's shrunk) REED!
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Johnny does this when he wakes up to find the dog he's watching on his bed, bigger than him.
- Ship Tease: Alicia comes over for a moment and says she and Ben are going out to breakfast.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When Alicia is talking to HERBIE (who thinks the Four are vermin), she asks, "Did you just hear Reed?" HERBIE answers, "No, and I didn't hear any rats either."