A computer wiz looks into the record that was being played while famous radio DJ John The Hawk Hawkins supposedly committed suicide in 1958 by shooting himself, and finds footsteps playing in the background of the music, meaning someone was in the booth when he died. The detectives then look further into his death and whether or not it was really suicide.
- Daddy's Girl: John wrote Scarlet Rose for his daughter Jenny when she was little. He left because Dottie told him that his dreams of music stardom would only hurt her. Upon reuniting, John plans to take her on the road with him and help her launch a singing career.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Dotties father was a musician trying to make it big, instead of getting a steady job to provide for her, so she grew up in poverty. Then one day, Dottie found her father hanging from a noose in his hotel room.
- Freudian Excuse: Dotties father was a musician who refused to give up his dreams to keep his child out of poverty, and was Driven to Suicide when he finally gave up. This cemented Dotties belief that musicians and singers were bad parents and selfish people, which drives her to kill John when he plans to take Jenny away from her and help her become a singer.
- Honorable Marriage Proposal: A teenage girl told her dad that John got her pregnant, and the dad tried to threaten John to take responsibility. When hes interviewed again decades later, he reveals that John wasnt the father, but rather her idiot boyfriend now [his] idiot son-in-law.
- Loony Fan: Jenny at first appears to be this, as she is obsessed with John and always trying to get close to him. Subverted as it turns out shes Gene HuntingJohn is her estranged father.
- Moment Killer: John was playing Scarlet Rose, his daughters original song, for the first time to the public on his radio station when he was shot, his head falling on the record and causing it to repeat the last verse over and over until his body was found.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: Dottie grew up poor and unhappy because her father could not make it big as a musician. And since he refused to pursue anything else, he could not make a decent living for his daughter.