When Malory announces that a former ISIS agent — who was Archer's best friend and may or may not have been gay for him — is dead after a mission gone wrong, Archer travels to Vermont to prove that his death was a set-up.
This episode provides examples of:
- Big NO: Archer lets one out when Lucas admits that he raped Archer when he was passed out drunk.
- Continuity Nod: Krenshaw (The turncoat from episode 1) and deceased agent Pak are seen in a flashback during agent graduation.
- Death Bed Confession: Lucas makes one while he's dying under a tree.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: Lucas apparently did this to Archer on a mission when he was unconscious. Averted in that, once it's found out what Lucas did, it's treated as genuinely horrific. On the ride home, Archer is sitting in the car blank faced while Cyril and Lana look extremely uncomfortable.
- Kinky Cuffs: Archer wakes up in these and wonders why Lucas has them.
- Not Hyperbole: Lucas indeed left the very instant he become a field agent.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Troy for Archer. Notably, Ray insists that Troy is not gay, although Lana, Mallory and almost everyone else thinks he is because of his chemistry with Archer.
- Yandere: Lucas of so much. He steals uranium, kills his fellow agents, and betrays ISIS just so that he could be together with Archer. To top it all off, he also attempts to kill Lana and Cyril to prevent them from taking Archer away from him.