Danganronpa: Return to Despair Academy is an Audio Drama made by Yugirl. Set after the events of Danganronpa, this series imagines a final killing game. This idea for this was made before Danganronpa 3 aired, and does not follow all of it's canon. Monokuma needs a way to keep despair going, and a killing game is set up in the original Hope's Peak Academy. Strangely enough, the protagonist is the only one who seems to have any memories of his school life. Episodes can be found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbPy0tsiq8yAFTnyQ_uh8dg
Danganronpa: Return to Despair Academy contains examples of:
- Academy of Adventure: Takes place inside of Hope's Peak Academy. Not really the fun kind of adventure, but adventure nonetheless.
- After the End: The narrator reveals that this all takes place after the Tragedy, an event which ended the world as we know it.
- Alternative Continuity: The Creator explained that as the story was created before Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy, it occurs in an alternate timeline where the events of Future Arc never happened. She is, however, hoping to include as much of the DR 3 cast as possible and has confirmed she'll be keeping Despair Arc as canon as possible
- Contralto of Danger: Cheshire has a voice that is noticeably lower than the other female characters. She's a world-renowned cat burglar.
- Deadly Graduation: Quite literal. In order to "graduate" from the school, you must kill a person and get away with it, condemning your classmates to death.
- Genius Bonus: In Episode 1, Shizuka picks up Usato and says "Where're you going bunny, huh?" this is a quote from the Betty Boop Short, "Betty in Blunderland". If you understood that reference, you deserve a cookie
- Ink-Suit Actor: Several voice actors have said that they felt very in-touch with their characters. The main ones are in fact the voice actors for the foster-sibling protagonists, who have both said that their characters act very similar to how they do in real life.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Everyone except for the protagonist has no memories of their school life, or of the Tragedy.
- Law Procedural: The Class Trials.
- Les Yay: The creator has confirmed Cheshire and Oracle as lesbians, and the two eventually become extremely close. Since they started out with an intense rivalry, this also doubles as Foe Yay.
- Mascot Villain: In Dangan Ronpa, before you even know who the mastermind is, you know one thing. Monokuma, a two-tone teddy bear, is controlled by them. Monokuma provides the motives for most murders, and serves to carry out the mastermind's will.
- Public Execution: When a murder culprit is discovered during a Class Trial, they are executed in front of their classmates.
- Series Mascot: Monokuma, not just for this, but for Dangan Ronpa in general. Monogin also fills this role, but is unique to this series.
- Slumber Party: The official blog has announced that one of the upcoming episodes will feature a sleepover, and a contest is currently being held to design sleep wear for the characters.
- Win Your Freedom: In order to escape from Hope's Peak, you have to kill somebody and survive the class trial.
- You Wake Up in a Room: The protagonist, and possibly the other students.
- Children Voicing Children: While some of the actors are young adults, the youngest member of the cast is 13, and the range of ages means that some of the voice actors for the cast of high school students, are in fact, high school students.
- Talking to Himself: Almost half the characters share voice actors.
- Monokuma/John Mallory
- Ace D/Hajime Hinata
- Purin Touka/Monogin
- Mikki Kurakano/Shiro Kuroto