Basic Trope: Player character's gender has little to no effect on gameplay.
- Straight: In Chronicles of Troperia, you can make your Player Character either male or female and regardless of choice, the story and gameplay will be unaffected
- Exaggerated: If you choose a female PC, she will still be met by female love interests despite being written as straight, will slouch in her chair despite being stereotypically lady-like, and will even be referred to as "He" because the programmers seemingly did not think anyone would use the female PC.
- Downplayed: The male and female PCs have cutscenes and animations altered to fit their gender and personality, and have slightly different stat growths and class paths but still function the same.
- Justified: Chronicles of Troperia is a Nintendo Hard game where you fight literal demons from hell and other Eldritch Abominations that'll One-Hit Kill you anyway, so your gender doesn't matter in the end.
- Inverted: The male PC and female PC will lead to very different games, class sets, and even endings.
- Subverted: The male PC has higher attack and physical defense growths, as well as access to the barbarian and gunman class chains. While the female PC has higher magic defense and luck growths with access to the druid and witch class chains.
- Double Subverted: ... but late-game, the growths blend out together and they gain access to each other's class
- Parodied: ???
- Zig-Zagged: ???
- Averted: The natural aesthetic differences between men and women are reflected in each PC's animation, design, character reactions, etc.
- Enforced: The game developers did not have enough time to flesh out mechanical and aesthetic differences between the characters
- Lampshaded: "Boy? Girl? Doesn't matter, the Mawtooth will eat you either way."
- Invoked: Drake the Mad and his army kidnap every man and woman they see, since both are equally valuable slave fighters.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: T'Aka Zulu decides to only train the men in his kingdom for combat, with the preservation of traditional gender roles being his only motivation.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: 'I understand not making the female PC weak. I don't understand noth bothering to give her a different voice actor."
Back to Purely Aesthetic Gender