Basic Trope: A team member quits only to come back because the team needs their specific talents.
- Straight: Lance quits being a part of the Five-Man Band after getting into an argument with Hiro, but returns to their aid because his teammates needed his help.
- Exaggerated: Lance gets into a brutal fight against Hiro and quits the team and wishes for their death, but later comes back to their side during a battle with Emperor Evulz and his army of vile henchmen.
- Downplayed: Although not quite angry with his teammates, Lance is offended after a brief argument with Hiro and leaves the group. He later comes back to save them from Evulz's henchmen.
- Justified: Lance realizes that even if he has disagreements with his teammates, he can't let them be defeated by the evil forces and thus The Power of Friendship prompts him to change his mind.
- Inverted: Emperor Evulz, Hiro's Arch-Enemy becomes his Token Evil Teammate until circumstances arise when he becomes his enemy again.
- Subverted: It seems that Lance is going to help his teammates fight against Evulz' henchmen, only to attack Hiro, shocking both his teammates and enemies alike.
- Double Subverted: ...but this was to let the mooks' guard down and Lance took advantage of this opportunity to take them all out one by one.
- Parodied: Lance quits the group after bickering with Hiro about pencils and stays on his tent looking very angry and bitter. He then comes out of his tent to help them catch a fly because he is mostly skilled in doing that.
- Zig Zagged: Lance quits the team after an argument about taking him for granted and being dead weight because he hasn't been very useful the past few missions, since they've gone against his skill set. Hiro contacts him saying that a mission has just come up where his help would be invaluable, and Lance relents, but afterwards he quits again and strikes out on his own.
- Averted: There is no argument between Hiro and Lance.
- Enforced: "We need to give The Lancer some Character Development and show the audience that despite his differences, he still cares about his teammates, even The Hero."
- Lampshaded: "Guess who came back from being such a quitter."
- Invoked: Chica gives Lance a Whoopi Epiphany Speech to convince him to help Hiro fight back against Evulz' henchmen.
- Exploited: Lance wants a bigger share of the loot/glory because he knows that the team can't survive without him, and quits until his team agrees to his conditions.
- Defied: Lance decides not to leave the group since the argument wasn't serious enough to upset him.
- Discussed:Hiro: You came back after what just happened between you and me?
Lance: Yeah. I guess it's because of a thing called teamwork.
- Conversed: "I though Lance was going to leave the group forever, but thank goodness we get to see him on television with his friends again."
- Deconstructed: Lance realizes that if he helps his teammates, then all of them will mistreat him like they always do at every opportunity. To avoid getting harassed, Lance deliberately lets them get defeated by the villains and moves on with his life without them.
Back to Achilles in His Tent