K. Flay is an alternative music artist whose sound draws from many disparate sources, predominantly indie rap and electronica.
Active since 2004, her first single was released in 2011 and first major release, Life As a Dog, came in 2014. Relying on multiple sources for inspiration, K. Flay's personal style is personal and accessible and combines often fast-paced rap verses with indie-electronic pop and rock beats.
K. Flay's work contains examples of:
- AcCENT upon the Wrong SylLABle: In No Duh, pronounces Giant as 'GI-ant'
- Love Is a Drug: "High Enough":I don't need drugs
'Cause I'm already high enough
- Motor Mouth: Many of her songs feature fast-paced rap verses, and she often switches pace and speed from one to the other.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: No Duh features a background loop of K. Flay singing 'la la la la' layered over each other and at distinct pitches.
- Shout-Out: Elle Fanning features references to Gossip Girl, Dawson's Creek, and Jeopardy, and of course, the titular actress.