Hurts are a English synth-pop duo consisting of singer Theo Hutchcraft and synthesist Adam Anderson. The duo formed in Manchester, England in 2009.
- Happiness (2010)
- Exile (2013)
- Surrender (2015)
- Desire (2017)
Hurts provides examples of:
- Break-Up Song: "Blind" is about missing your exe.
- Darker and Edgier: Oh, very much so for Exile. Most of the songs on Happiness had the relatively tame themes of love and loss, and was generally quite accessible for most audiences. Exile, by contrast, had many dark songs about sex and death, which ranged from haunting ballads such as The Crow and The Rope, to loud and scary songs such as The Road and Cupid.
- Eye Scream: Used metaphorically in "Blind", which contains the chorus "Cut out my eyes and leave me blind".
- Genre Roulette: Although the band is described as a synthpop group, many of their songs also lean towards new wave and soft rock influences. Some songs off Exile such as The Road, Cupid or Mercy edge quite close to industrial metal/rock territory.
- One-Word Title: The band's name and all their albums are one word long.