DIVA (formerly named DiVA) is a former J-pop group under Flave Entertainment record label Avex Trax. All four main members were members of the popular idol group AKB48, and DIVA was AKB's first ever "Dance and Vocal Unit", as it was the only AKB sub-unit to have official backup dancers.
They were formed in 2011, made up of Akimoto Sayaka, Umeda Ayaka, Miyazawa Sae, and Masuda Yuka. They released three singles in between 2011 and 2012.
Due to a scandal hitting Yuka, causing her to quit AKB and DIVA, as well as Sae's concurrency with Chinese sister-group, SNH 48, and Sayaka's eventual graduation, the group's activities stopped temporarily. However, the remaining three released a digital single which could only be purchased online in 2013.
On 2014, the group announced they would release a new single and their first album, along with changing their name from "DiVA" to "DIVA", and announced they would disband. At the end of 2014, the group held a final concert to make their final bows and disband.
Not to be confused with Diva, the movie.
- Ascended Extra: The six backup dancers got to and sing their own song for DIVA's album. It was called "Mousou Cinderella"
- Audience Participation Song: This happened with "DIVA!"ex: *the first line of the first verse*Yuka: Hey, are you getting pumped?Crowd: We're pumped!
- Bifauxnen: Sayaka and Sae are both known for being boyish.
- Darker and Edgier: Well, not exactly dark. But compared to AKB48's bubblegum pop style music, they are definitely have a more mature feel and more intense dance moves. DISCOVERY, however, is very upbeat.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Their single "Lost The Way" was used as the theme song for the movie, Ultraman Saga
- Even the Girls Want Her: DIVA is well known to have MANY female fans.
Yuka: Girls!*Girls in the crowd scream*
- This was mentioned during an MC at their last concert.
- Gag Boobs: The other members like to tease Yuka for her large breasts (but are probably only jealous since Yuka has the largest cup size and everyone else is rather... flat.)
- Yuka even has the nickname "Yuppai (combination of "Yuka" and "oppai", meaning boobs)" for this reason.
- Genki Girl: Sae and Ayaka can both count as this.
- Hotter and Sexier: Most songs are considered this. The only song that completely inverts from this is Umeda Ayaka's original song "Daisuki+Daikirai=Daisuki!", which was meant to play off AKB48's idol-esque style.
- Image Song: Miyazawa Sae's original song, "DIVA!"
- Meaningful Rename: The lowercase "i" in DiVA was meant to represent love from the fans (i=ai, "ai" means "love" in Japanese) and showed that they were incomplete. Since the group was disbanding, they changed it to an uppercase "I" to show that they accept the love of their fans and were now whole and ready to take their final bows.