The Boy In The Dress is a 2008 children's book written by David Walliams. It is about a boy called Dennis who is coping with his parents' split. In a way to escape reality, he has found a fascination to wearing girls' clothing. He becomes friends with Lisa James, a girl at school that he fancies. She designs and creates her own brand of clothing. Just for a bit of fun, she decided to dress up Dennis in the clothes and he loves it. As a gag, they decide that Dennis should come to school dressed as a French girl called Denise. Will Dennis get away with it, or will he get caught out?
The first book in "The World Of Walliams'' series.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Raj's mum.
- Big Eater: Mac. He's eating in every scene he's in.
- Disguised in Drag: Dennis dresses as a French girl Denise.
- Dragged into Drag: Lisa makes Dennis dress up in her dress and wig and makes him go to the shop as a French girl called Denise.
- Fake Nationality: In universe, Dennis pretends to be the French girl Denise.
- Gasshole: John likes to sit on Dennis' face and fart.
- Hypocrite: Mr Hawtrey expels Dennis for going to school dressed as a girl even though he likes to dress up in women's clothing himself.
- Jerkass: Mr Hawtrey
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Dennis' dad and his brother John.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Dennis feels bad after hearing Miss Windsor speak French and then telling her as Denise that he couldn't understand a word she is saying. Which causes Miss Windsor walk out the room crying.