MW:ADC is a comedic science fantasy webserial novel that re-envisions just about everything.
The story focuses on a group of gods in mortal form, and their struggle against a Crapsack World that's out to get them.
Mysterious Ways: A Divine Comedy provides examples of:
- AI Is A Crap Shoot: lampshaded and averted with Aiinacs.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Aiinacs is a fully sentient AI, which means he can do some cool computer stuff, but it wouldn't be ethical to make him do what you want.
- Because Destiny Says So: The closest thing Lucifer has to a code of ethics. Whatever is supposed to happen, he will ensure that it does. Whether it's the Holocaust or the cure for cancer, he'll play his part.
- Blatant Lies: Alex, Zack, and Aiinacs started a company called LINARA, which stands for LINARA Is Not A Recursive Acronym.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:Alex: Damn, you theWriter!! You heartless, sadistic freak! How could you?theWriter: Its not me! It was um well, theres this guy whos totally evil, and uh he did it. Hes responsible for it all. Everything bad. All him. Not my fault. His name? Uh Scape. Scape the Goat.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dark magic is simply magic that uses the magician's own power and ability, rather than relying on an external source.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Every angel is given a choice between training to be a "divine servant", or having their wings cut off and their magic stripped away. This is rationalized by the belief that angels are created specifically to act as divine servants, and if they're not going to do that, they don't really need wings or magic.
- Fantastic Racism: Angels have a strong hatred of 'cubi (succubi/incubi).
- God Couple: Alex and Lilly.
- Holier Than Thou: The angels as a whole. Despite being an entirely mortal species of birds, they claim to be of divine origin, descended directly from the Judeo-Christian God, and insist that they are literally holier than anyone of any other species could possibly be.
- Angels have their own branch of Christianity, characterized by a refusal to allow any non-angels to serve as clergy, because they "don't want to hear about God from one of His rejects."
- Angels insist that they should only have sex while possessed by the Holy Spirit, so that they can claim God is the father, and they are thus the only true (literal) "Children of God". Any child not conceived in this manner is killed, along with the parents.
- Horny Devils: 'cubi (succubi and incubi) are a species of birds, closely related to the angels, that thrive off sexual energy. They don't suck out your souls, but they will leave you feeling exhausted from the physical act.
- Interspecies Romance: Alex and Lilly.
- Light Is Not Good: Light magic is any magic that relies on an external source (e.g. a deity). So if you summon the devil and use his powers to eviscerate a hundred orphans, that's light magic.
- Love Across Battlelines: Alex is part dragon, Lilly is an angel trained to kill dragons and addicted to murder.
- Magic Versus Science: It's not impossible to get magic and technology working together, but it is difficult. Technology tends to rely on a bunch of tiny things (e.g. circuit components) working as expected, and can be very susceptible to magic that isn't properly focused. For the most part, the two are kept well apart from each other, for safety concerns.
- Non-Human Lover Reveal: Lilly finds out that Alex is actually two-thirds dragon.
- Our Angels Are Different: The angels claim to be divine servants, but they're not. They're physical beings (birds), with powerful light magic and dangerous ideas of their own divinity.
- Religion Is Magic: Mostly. The angels would have you believe that all power comes from their god, but it's not actually clear where exactly magic comes from. But it does require training, focus, and a sense of confidence that one is following the right path, all of which religion can provide, so magic can come from religion, among other places.
- Resurrective Immortality: As a phoenix, Alex will resurrect automatically after death, though it's not a perfect system.
- Sadist: Lucifer, the omniscent god of Truth, loves to mess around with people. When Lilly was injured, he convinced Alex to break the seal on his powers to heal her (which put Alex in danger), before revealing that he brought a full medical kit (including surgical supplies), just to mess with Alex.
- Sadist Teacher: Ms. Slaphappy hits students with a ruler for any number of reasons, including sleeping, talking back, not paying attention, or just not succeeding in class. Since she teaches meditation and magic, which requires closing your eyes and relaxing (which looks like sleeping), the only way to avoid her wrath is pure luck.
- The Chess Master: Lucifer knows the future, and the future states quite clearly that he will manipulate everyone into following the path he has forseen.
- Understanding Boyfriend: Alex and Lilly take each other's revelations—that Alex is part dragon, and that Lilly enjoys killing dragons—surprisingly well.
- Wizarding School: the Angel Academy.