Also based on the Pearce story is the 2008 film Dying Breed, a horror film focusing on Pearce's modern day Cannibal Clan descendents (who are just one of the many reasons not to go to Tasmania for a holiday).
Van Diemen's Land has the following tropes:
- Black and Grey Morality: The convicts and the guards.
- Crazy Survivalist: None of the starving prisoners know how to fish or hunt, so they turn on each other.
- Disposing of a Body: Pearce eats the evidence.
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Before their arrest, the convicts were petty thieves, tax dodgers and conmen. After their escape they become murderers.
- Hell Hole Prison: Sarah Island penal colony.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Pearce eventually grows to like the taste of human flesh.
- Land Down Under: The setting of the movie.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: Stranded in the middle of nowhere, Pearce realises that the strong must eat the weak.
- Penal Colony: The convicts were transported from Britain to Australia.
- The Savage South: The Tasmanian wilderness.