Also based on the Pearce story is the 2008 film Dying Breed, a horror film focusing on Pearce's modern day Cannibal Clan descendents (who are just one of the many reasons not to go to Tasmania for a holiday).
Van Diemen's Land has the following tropes:
- Black-and-Grey Morality: The convicts and the guards.
- Crazy Survivalist: None of the starving prisoners know how to fish or hunt, so they turn on each other.
- Disposing of a Body: Pearce eats the evidence.
- Dwindling Party: This starts when the group kills one of their members to stay alive. While two of the group wisely desert the rest, the members begin to kill each other to survive. The only survivor is Pearce.
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Before their arrest, the convicts were petty thieves, tax dodgers and conmen. After their escape they become murderers.
- Hell Hole Prison: Sarah Island penal colony.
- I am a Humanitarian: Pearce eventually grows to like the taste of human flesh.
- Land Down Under: The setting of the movie.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: Stranded in the middle of nowhere, Pearce realizes that the strong must eat the weak.
- Penal Colony: The convicts were transported from Britain to Australia.
- The Savage South: The Tasmanian wilderness.