Uomini contro (Enlish title: Men Against... or Many Wars Ago) is a 1970 drama by Francesco Rosi. Main role is played by Gian Maria Volonte
The film is set in the WWI on the Austrian-Italian front. Italians have retreated from the mountain which dominates the valley and now they are trying to take it back.
- Anyone Can Die: Gian Maria Volonte, the main star here dies one hour into the film without great fanfare.
- Cameo: By Daria Nicolodi as a nurse in this nearly entirely man-acted movie.
- Cannon Fodder: The soldiers for the higher officers.
- Downer Ending: The good sublieutenant Sassu who became the protagonist after the death of the character played by Volonte is shot by the firing squad.
- General Ripper: The general Leone
- Impossible Mission: For the Italians to re-capture; a mountain earlier lost to the Austrians.
- Meaningful Name: That of gerenal Leone meaning "lion". Might rather be a deceiving name.
- Shot at Dawn: Sublieutenant Sassu
- We Have Reserves: That's how the Italian general treats his troops.