A 2012 comedy sports film starring Kevin Durant and Jim Belushi. Brian Aswell (Taylor Gray), is an uncoordinated teenager who wants to be able to play basketball like his idol, Kevin Durant, but keeps falling short, making him the laughingstock of his school thanks to his epic failure going viral on YouTube. After being picked for a halftime court shot, he somehow acquires Durant's talent and becomes a basketball superstar while Durant becomes a laughingstock.
Not related to the Thunderstruck webcomic.
This film provides examples of:
- Big Game: Two of them, one after the other. One for state play-offs for Brian's high school team and one for the NBA playoffs for Durant.
- Down to the Last Play: Of course, the final high school game before playoffs involves 10 seconds left on the clock, two points down, and the klutz protagonist with the ball. He sensibly passes to his more skilled teammate. When said shot is blocked, he lands the final 3-pointer in the last seconds.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Played completely straight. Prior to the talent switch, Brian is hopeless despite practicing constantly (although its arguable that he's focusing too much on trick shots rather than fundamentals). After the switch, Durant puts hours into drilling his skills, but background characters point out that he's just getting worse.
- Newscaster Cameo: The Inside the NBA guys, Conan O'Brien and the local KFOR-TV news anchors show up to cover KD's downward spiral.
- Noodle Incident: Isabelle mentions that she was extremely not popular in her old high school, due to "that soccer thing", implying there's a greater story that Brian will learn later.
- Jerk Jock: Conner, at first. Brian, later.
- Rousing Speech: Both the coach and the assistant coach try these over and over again, always cribbing them from sports movies.