The Ones Below is a 2015 thriller.
Kate and Justin are expecting their first child when new neighbors move into the downstairs flat. Well-off and glamorous, pregnant Theresa instantly pursues a friendship with Kate. But after inviting her and her overbearing husband, Jon, to a disastrous dinner party, things get increasing strained between the two couples.
This film provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: We never find out why, but Kate's mother seems very disinterested in her daughter's existence. Kate is furious when Justin arranges a visit from her (her first visit to their flat) and a gift "from her" after Billy is born.
- Adult Fear: Basically the entire film, starting when Theresa suffers a miscarriage after falling down a flight of stairs.
- Babysitterfrom Hell: Theresa goes full-on Hand that Rocks the Cradle with taking photos of/with Billy and hanging them in Peter's nursery and breastfeeding Billy.
- Berserk Button: Don't accuse Jon or Theresa of lying, or of not obeying Jon, or pointing out careless things they've done.
- Chekhov's Gun: Kate & Justin's unnamed cat, Jon and Theresa's habit of not wearing shoes inside the actual apartments, and the porch milk bottle delivery.
- Downer Ending: Theresa and Jon kills Kate and kidnaps the baby, and stage the scene to make it look like Kate killed the baby and committed suicide. Justin most likely will never know the truth.
- Domestic Abuse: Possibly, more likely emotional and verbal rather than physical considering how terrified Theresa seemed during dinner, and her covert drinking when Jon wasn't watching her., combined with taking years to conceive when how he divorced his first wife solely because she couldn't give him an heir. His later controlling behavior make the earlier lunch dates with his wife seem less sweet and more mandatory.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The story is about Kate and Justin's downstairs neighbors.
- Gas Lighting: How they try to break Kate and damage her credibility.
- Karma Houdini: Theresa and Jon pretty much get away with their actions, including murder and kidnapping.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: After learning that Kate and Justin conceived relatively easily, Theresa jealously reveals that she and Jon tried for 7 years.
- Never My Fault: Theresa and Jon's attitude regarding the loss of their baby. They completely blame Kate and Justin for the accident.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: After Theresa had laid her shoes safely off to the side, her husband Jon places his and her shoes directly in front of the door. She most likely would have still fallen without the cats help.
- Replacement Goldfish: Kate's son Billy becomes this for Theresa and Jon. They even re-name him Peter.
- Slipping a Mickey: the drugged milk bottle.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Theresa and Jon plan to call their son Peter, after Jon's father.